Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pet food labels

1867 ad for Spratt's Dog Biscuit, probably the...Image via WikipediaAfter my last post, I decided to do some research on dog food labels, and I found some interesting info.  First, WebMd has an article on deciphering the labels at http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/how-to-read-a-dog-food-label, and you can also sign up for their pet health newsletter to receive the latest on new studies.  As far as I can see, the information on the labels may be fine for a healthy dog (although they should list sugars separately even then), but they're inadequate for dogs with health issues like diabetes.
Another site with a surprising amount of information is that of the Food and Drug Administration.  They have a full (maybe too full) explanation of the current labels.  Within the FDA, pet food issues are handled by the Center for Veterinary Medicine, whose director is Bernadette M. Dunham, D.V.M., Ph.D.  Now that I've got that name, at least I have someone to direct my inquiries to.  I'll let you know how that turns out.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment